NIHL1 Report: Streatham 6 Bristol 2

Nov 17, 2021

The Bristol Honda Pitbulls conceded to goals in the last 80 seconds at league leaders Streatham to come out on the wrong end of a 6-2 scoreline.

With such a hard, draining game the night before, it was no surprise that Bristol would find a trip to Streatham a tough request.

Head Coach Jamie Elson said: “We are obviously disappointed to lose and not make it our first four point weekend. But considering the battle we had the previous night and that we travelled a few guys light to the league leaders, we gave a solid account of ourselves tonight.

“Up until the last two minutes it was a 4-2 game and we felt like we still had a chance. Those two late ones make it look worse than it was. Streatham are the pace setters right now and we have seen the standard that we now need to reach in this league and that’s what we will start to work on.”

Streatham made the most of Bristol’s tired legs and dominated long stretches of the opening period, outshooting Bristol four-fold. Despite that, Bristol’s defence held up well to what is, statistically at least, the strongest offence in the league. Sam Waller opened the scoring after 12 minutes but Streatham wouldn’t score again until just 5 seconds were left in the period when Ivan Antonov found a way past John Dibble in the Bristol net.

Bristol came out for the second period brightly and were rewarded with a quick goal through Steve Osman, sparking a five-minute burst that saw the teams equally share four goals. Ryan Watt and Brandon Miles got quick counters for Streatham before Cain Russell reduced their lead back down to two goals.

Streatham were then kept off the scoresheet for over 30 minutes as Bristol continued to soak up their pressure.

At 57:30, Miles took a roughing minor to give Bristol a last gasp chance to reduce their deficit. Coach Elson pulled Dibble for the extra attacker, but a hooking minor on Joe Morris just 20 seconds later forced him to put his netminder back out onto the ice.

With Bristol still being forced to push for a third goal, four-on-four created larger spaces on the ice for Streatham to jump into an exploit turnovers. And so it proved when Antonov scored with just 78 seconds left on the clock. Then, with Miles returning to the ice, Streatham made the most of their man advantage while Morris waited for his penalty to count down when Conner Smith scored Streatham’s sixth with just twenty seconds left to play.